Monday, December 12, 2011

Something a Commoner Really Needs to GIVE this Holiday



As you can probably tell I have a real problem with shopping.  I love to buy things.  My husband will often ask if I need something I'm thinking of buying and I always say yes-I really need it.  

Well this came across my facebook page and it really struck home.  So while I had another suggestion in mind for tonight I'm putting it on hold and suggesting that you give a donation to a charity that means something to you.


As you probably know, I went to Catholic School for 12 years so I was very  familiar with the pictures of starving children in third world countries.  I was raised on these.  I remember the Unicef Halloween boxes that I always took trick or treating.  I remember the line from Bob Geldorf's song "do they know it's Christmas time at all".  You can choose any charity but I offer up Unicef to help children who have no idea who Santa even is.

I watch a LOT of TV news and often see the adds for the charity Wounded Warriors. We seem to have been at war in various Middle Eastern Countries for a very long time.  And while sometimes I lose track of what we're doing there and quite frankly where we even are-you can't forget the fact that so many young people come back injured.  I think we give a lot of lip service to honoring veterans, I think the world they live in is hard and they've done it for us and their love of country.  Where would we be without them.  As far as I know I don't think they are really 'bailed out' and I think this charity is really important.

Of course you can give or not give or chose something close to home or far away-I don't think it really matters.  I think what really matters is that you give to someone in the name of Christmas-because as Melissa of Real Housewives always says- "It's Jesus' Birthday"

So tonight the commoner suggest that you stop and think of those who could use some help and pick your favorite charity and send them what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment