Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Commoner Suggests a Book for The Reader on Your List


This book is not a light Sunday afternoon Nickolas Sparks romantic novel.  This book is heavy reading-it also happens to be the best book I've EVER read-and I've read a lot of books.
Set in Afghanistan- in the current time pretty much- this book is stunning.  There's a lot to get through -we are drenched in the language of Afghanistan and the beginning is a little slow-but once it gets going it is unlike anything you've ever read.
 The women in this novel are true heros and no detail is spared  in the horrible lives that these women are subject to.  There are so many times I had to remind myself that this was taking place in modern-day Afghanistan, not the story of a distant place and time in our history.
I'm also not a crier as you all know but this book actually caused me to weep out loud.  I'm often annoyed about how little I really know about the Middle East and this book-whenever I think about it-reinforces that fact shamefully.  Also the author  

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite book also. I read it about 3 years ago, and to this day I think of The women in this book and cry. It took me about 2 months to pick up another book because I actually mourned these characters. I recommend this book to anyone searching for a meaningful read.

    ReplyDelete