Saturday, November 19, 2011

A Commoner is Thankful for A Beautiful Day in the Napa Valley



Overall there are many things to be thankful for today.  First of all I have a daughter who accomplished something most her age can't.  She landed a job with a winery right out of college in the field she studied.  Delcato Family Winery's is a great company and while she's just starting out she has more perks and benefits than her father and I combined.  I'm thankful she lives in Napa so I can work on my project of eating my way through the area.

  I'm thankful she found room mates who I hope will become friends and I'm thankful that we went up on this beautiful November day to help her move. I'm also thankful for all the free wine even though I don't really drink wine (guess what all of you are getting for Christmas!)-well not the garbage man.

After the move I was really hungry about from whining about all the heavy lifting I really didn't go so we went to Gott's Roadside with 3 locations-and I'm thankful for the butternut squash, great smoked chicken sandwich, and garlic fries.  It was so yummy and such a fun place to eat-cheap and no tip needed.


So since this whole blog originally started with four friends who went to Napa (Rosa, Lesli, and Kristen-what happened to you) it's only fitting that it was a pastry stand in Oxbow Market that knocked me right back down to Commoner status.


We roamed that great market (similar to the Ferry Building for all of you San Francisco people) and decided dessert would be at this place  Actually dessert is always at this place-even though we could choose chocolates, cupcakes, or ice cream-it's the cream puffs we fall for. 
 
So we chose our pastries and Rob and I paid while Meghan went to Rituals to treat us to coffee. Rob and I got a table and finally I went to see what was taking so long with Meghan because well, I really wanted to eat my pastry. 

So I left Rob at the table with a pastry and a broken fork and went to get Meghan.  Well Ritual hand makes each cup of coffee.  They have a filter over your cup they measure and heat the water they grind the beans and it takes forever. But finally our three cups were done and we mosied back to Rob.

We got there and he had been upgraded to a porcelain dish and a real fork.  We set down to enjoy our pastry and fresh coffee when some other commoner waitress comes over and says no outside food or drink at Ca' Momi tables I'm sorry.  Really?  Really?  Do you even serve coffee here?  Jeesh so we took everything including our porcelain dish and real food and wandered around finding an open table and told that putz cashier good luck finding your plate.  Which was probably worth three times as much as the pastry that was on it.

Thanks to   for letting us eat in your area of the market even though we didn't have a cupcake.  I hope you enjoyed that beautiful plate.  And that coffee?  It really was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment