Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Commoner's Marathon Story

Today I was supposed to write about my views on religion.  I totally will do this tomorrow when the scheduled topic is suicide. I'm not touching that one.

 The reason I'm holding off on this is because the Chicago marathon was asking for runner's stories.  I have a marathon story for sure...so I'm sharing my storyline with you because you know you want to hear it.

 Here is the story I sent them...

 Once upon a time I was a competitive cyclist.  13 time New York State Champion, 5th Place in the Junior Nationals and competitor at the 1982 World University Games.  It was through cycling that I met my husband who was in New York racing for the Irish team 



We fell in love, got married, had 3 children moved to California and never really rode again.  I lost weight, I gained weight, I was a hockey mom, I taught full time and no time for exercise.  I ballooned to a size 14 and knew I had to do something -or go to the plus size department. 





Fast forward a few years and then rewind 3.  I started walk/running for excersise  and it was fun.  It took me 15 minutes to do a mile and I didn't even know what that meant.  3 years ago I entered my first 10 K and I've never looked back.

This year I did  2 half marathons finishing the last one at 2:15.  I always said half marathons were all I ever needed in life.  I love the ones where you race in a city with lots of people.

One day I was coming home from a run reading Facebook when someone posted about the Chicago Marathon.  The Chicago Marathon was going to be held on my 50th Birthday.  That's right, no girls trip to Vegas on my 50th Birthday I will be running my first marathon in the great city of Chicago.




It was hard to enter the marathon that day as you may recall but in spite of the odds both myself and my husband claimed spots.

Training has begun-it's that first easy week which I love.  There will be times when I will doubt myself like every time.  But on my 50th birthday I WILL cross the finish line of my first marathon in Chicago.



Please join me at the finish line and sing happy birthday to me!  I'm going to need it.
I don't know if the marathon folks will give me a cake or sing to me but they asked for my marathon story-and this one's pretty cool if I say so myself.

And PS?  I'm now a size 6

No comments:

Post a Comment