Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Commoner Spends Some FamilyTime

Today was the day of the trip to see tons of relatives.  But don't worry it still included lots of food and beverages and today I partook in them all.


Lest you think I've given up on my healthy California lifestyle-after a breakfast that included 5 italian cookies, 2 string cheeses for protein and two spoonfuls of Greek Yogurt, my marathon running cousin Pat picked me and took me for a run.


Now Pat is not just any old runner, you know like me, who runs a few miles , and goes home for chocolate, he's a 4 time finisher of the New York City Marathon.  He also talked me into entering for a spot this year.  He's hard core.  But I went-with him to the park to run 4 miles.  Watch out! I'm slow I told him he said no problem.


It's a good thing he's a talker because I just had to listen and try to breath.  Lest you think this was a easy run here's some of the problem I encountered.


First thing I was cold.  So i had many layers and gloves and tried really hard to breath.  Second, for some reason, my iPhone decided the only song it would play repeating time after time was Shake by Metro Station, so off went the music.  That means all I could hear was my cousins encouragement and the voices in my head.


I had open shoe laces, near heart attacks, questions I had to answer, a pain in my side, and general deathness.  But we ran and he said at the 1 and 1/2 mile marker want to turn around?  Did I say yes?  I couldn't breath, couldn't talk, had no music, couldn't keep up and was dying.  What do you think I said?  Wrong. I said no let's go for 4 miles.  


Pat runs every day like 10 miles a day this was a walk in the park for him.  But he's a good coach and had lots of advice and was very patient.  In the end I ran my fastest 4 miles to date. I'm ready for that marathon.  Bring it on.


I still have to update you on today's food, as well as fun with Kelsey and Riley, Pizza with Uncle Rocky, Aunt Mary Anne, and Aunt Joan, fabulous Chicken parm hero, pizza, and Guinness cupcakes with Ganache filling, more sangria and more italian cookies. But I'm too full to talk about any of that.  


Tomorrow BROADWAY and happy hour with my favorite godson.

No comments:

Post a Comment