Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Commoner and the Hills

New York may be home and it goes without saying -probably the most amazing place in the world.  But...when it comes to beautiful cities San Francisco wins.  It's the most beautiful city I've been to.  I love it.  This race was going to take me over the Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise what could be better?

I waited for a long time for this race.  And for the first time ever I wasn't the least bit worried about the actual 13.1 miles I was worried about running across the bridge.  Plus it was a tough week-it was nice to go for a long run through a city with 11000 running partners.

Let me tell you the race was so hard with so many San Francisco hills that by the time I was on the bridge I was hoping it would fall down because I was so tired.

I did more walking this race than ever before because I refuse to run up those steep hills.  You don't go very fast anyway and it's exhausting and it kills your hip or my hip anyway.  So you may as well walk the steep parts.

 The only time I ever walk in a race is through the feed stations.  This race I felt like I was walking all the time.  But I wasn't.  I ran great.

My goal was to run 11 minute miles.  I ran 11:11.  Then my goal was to beat the 2 hour 30 minute pace keeper.  I did that.  I did awesome.  I didn't even know what 11 minute miles meant for a finish time.  When I saw the 2:15 pacer I asked how many minutes/mile is that -she said 10:30.  That's too fast for today.  There are no PRs on this course.

I didn't take any pictures even though every one did and really ?  you have to It's Friggin san Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge .

I stole other people's pictures and here they are -pictures from the race as seen by anyone who uses a hash tag.






As for the race.  I felt really good.  I was worried about so many hills in the first 4 miles.  But when the bridge came it was wonderful.  It was crowded and I tried not to fall but I looked up in awe that I had conquered my bridge fear.  That bridge is beautiful.

Mile 8 saw me really tired and a little dehydrated but a water stop really helped and by mile 10 I felt great with mile 12-13 finding me with the fastest mile of the day actually racing for the finish instead of the usual I'm just glad I made it.

Highlight of the day?  The race and a Wrestlemania BarBque where I didn't have to cook or shop for the food and got to hang out with my boys and Amanda.

The picture of the day?
I keep editing this but it doesn't stay edited.  Tilt your head!


The Rock and Roll Half Marathon had hardly any bands.  But this band did perform.  They have a hit.  So they are song of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment