Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Commoner Thinks of Boston.

Originally, this week I was going to blog about being a curvy girl and my love of Pencil Skirts.  They bring out my inner 'Beyonce' or outer Beyonce-whichever-you get it.

I put this insight on hold for now-I promise you will love it.

Lately most of my posts have been about running.  Probably because I spend soooo much time doing it and so many interesting things happen with running.  So many commoner worthy things.

I haven't told you that I'm running the Chicago Marathon in October.  Not only in October but on my birthday.  Not only on my birthday but my 50th birthday.  I'm saving that blog for another time.
I often have nightmares about the marathon.  So far they haven't had to do with more than the recovery and the travel.  Mainly the recovery while traveling.  I haven't started training yet-but I've seen the schedule and it's scary.  I often joke that this may be the last run I ever do..it won't be.  My nightmares never once included terrorism. They still won't.  I'm not afraid of that.   Even if it's struck New Yorkers, schools and now runners?  I'm still not afraid.

Although I've run since high school.  I hadn't truly become a runner until a few years ago.  The difference, in my mind,  lies only in the amount of dedication to the run.  

I've run a lot of races now and 2 half marathons to date.  But what I've loved most about running is the brotherhood, or sisterhood of runners.   When someone finds out your are a runner you have an instant bond which can lead to hours of conversation and usually support of some sort.

At a workshop today the subject came up and I met someone running the same race as me in Santa Cruz and someone who had raced Chicago-and couldn't finish because they called the race on the account of heat.  (Something to add to my nightmares)

I've made friends with a lot of bloggers.  Yes they are friends. Most of my readers now are runners.   

I don't consider myself a marathon runner and often said I was interested in running New York and not any other.  Simply because it's New York.  I could never even consider Boston because of how hard it is to get in.  You have to qualify.  My time would work if I were 80.  

Yet the tragedy finds myself a member of yet another community hit by tragedy and banded together in recovery.  If you are a runner we are instantly connected-if you've run a marathon, I'm instantly in awe-if you've run Boston you are a god to me.  

Just the other day in Runner's World I was reading about the volunteers in Boston.  Today I hope they are okay.  I especially thought of the guy in charge of the finish line that I read about.  I can't imagine what he's going through.
Stay strong Boston!







2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what the volunteers and spectators are going through. I also can't imagine what the runners are going through, especially if someone who came to watch them run was injured. They must feel an overwhelming guilt.

    I completely agree with what you've said about runners having an instand bond, and I have had it happen many times. When you are talking to someone and it comes out that you are both runners, and all of a sudden you are talking about races and other running experiences. It truly is a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been involved in a lot of 'communities' in my lifetime. Runners are by far the most welcoming

    ReplyDelete